SMART REPAIR FAQ: HOW DO WE REPAIR SCRATCHES & PAINT DAMAGE?
The SMART technique has transformed car repair. It allows us to fix just the damaged area without replacing the entire panel or bumper.
WHAT IS SMART REPAIR?
SMART stands for Small to Medium Area Repair Technology. It’s a technique for repairing small areas of car bodywork damage using specialist tools, materials and paints to blend the repair with the surrounding panel. It’s much quicker and cheaper than traditional car repair.
We used this techniques on the Volkswagon Touareg in the pictures to repair two deep stone chips on the driver side front wing, with the customer receiving their car back the same day.
DO ALL REPAIRERS USE THIS TECHNIQUE?
No, many do not. Paintless Dent Repair NI will only take on jobs that can be repaired using SMART techniques.
WHAT DAMAGE CAN BE REPAIRED?
1. Paintwork scratches, stone chips etc.
2. Minor dents with broken paint work.
3. Bumper scuffs.
4. Alloy wheel damage.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?
A standard bumper scuff repair will take as little as three hours, we will give you an approximate time with your repair cost estimate.
WILL THE PAINT COLOUR MATCH?
Yes, we can match any paint colour and finish with our partners colour-matching technology.
We start with the manufacturer’s colour code and then use our spectrophotometer machine to scan the paint and identify the specific tone. We can then replicate the colour with our specialist range of tints.
HOW EXACTLY DOES SMART REPAIR WORK?
Here are steps for repairing the stone chips on the Touareg.
1. Clean and dry the area to remove dirt and waxes that may interfere with the repair.
2. Carefully mask off neighbouring panels and details like lights, badges and moulding to protect them.
3. Carefully grind and sand back the damaged area keeping the repair area as small as possible.
4. Clean and dry the area again to remove dirt and waxes.
5. Prime with a grey base and cure with an infrared lamp.
6. Apply the paint in thin layers with a spray gun, heating it to dry between each application.
7. Cure the entire area with an infrared lamp.
8. Allow to cool, then remove any paint nibs with extremely fine grain paper.
9. Polish and buff the panel.
WILL THE DAMAGE STILL BE VISIBLE?
No, you shouldn’t be able to see the damage once the car has been repaired. We aim to get your car looking as good as new.
WHERE WILL THE REPAIR BE CARRIED OUT?
At our premises in Temple on the edge of Carryduff.
HOW MUCH DOES A REPAIR COST?
The cost of a bodywork repair depends on a lot of factors. We take into account the size, depth and location of the damage, as well as the car’s paint finish. Prices begin at £135.00 which is usually less than insurance policy excess.